Self-Employment registration and formalities
STEPS REQUIRED TO REGISTER AND START BUSINESS AS SELF-EMPLOYED
- Register your business with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). You will need to register for Self-Assessment and Class 2 National Insurance as soon as you can after starting your business.
- Register for VAT with HMRC if necessary. VAT registration threshold is £85,000 in 2017.
- Register as an employer with HMRC if necessary.
- Apply to your local council or other public and private bodies for any permits, planning permissions and licenses your business may need.
- Ask your local council to establish whether you have to pay the local Business Rates.
- Organize your company bookkeeping and accounting – for details see below Formalities after registration.
- Produce your business stationery